Trigger management by scheduler

George
I cannot find online my answer.
If I use quartz scheduler to use a db backend store. The current time let's say is 8/10 at 7:00am UTC.
I create 5 simpleTriggers: 8/10/13 at 8am, 8/10/13 at 9am, 8/17/13 at 10am, 1/1/14 at 8am, 1/1/24 at 8am.

I understand the data shall be written into the db backend store. Are all the pending triggers held in scheduler's memory?  Or does the scheduler periodically poll the db backend to determine what triggers must be fired?